Solo and Small Practice Section
We serve as a clearinghouse for qualified law practice management and technology information for solo and small practice attorneys to support them in ethically conducting a profitable and satisfying business.
Annual Report | Budget | Bylaws | Members Only | Background
WEBINAR – Register Now!
Self Care and Managing Stress During COVID Times!
Developed in partnership with the WSBA Solo and Small Practice Section
When clients seek the services of an attorney, they are often experiencing some crisis and therefore, understandably, they are under stress. Under such circumstances, even the most reasonable of people can become “difficult.” Working with difficult clients can be particularly challenging. This webinar will help attorneys:
- Identify which clients are likely to be the most difficult;
- Identify how to make informed choices in working with difficult clients;
- Inform attorneys about methods used for productive communication with difficult clients in person and/or via email;
- Identify COVID stressors and ways to address stressors that individuals find challenging.
- Exercise self-care when working with highly demanding cases under stressful conditions
When: Feb. 4, noon–1 p.m. PT
Credits: 1.0 Other
Tuition: Free for members of the Solo & Small Practice Section (discount applied at checkout); $35 Standard/Non-Section Members; $0 - Law Students (after adding seminar to cart, enter promo code LSNN and click checkout)
Faculty: Frances Schopick, Seattle
Register Online Here.
COVID-19 Law Office Reopening Guide
Check out WSBA's new Reopening Safely: A Guide to Washington State Law Offices produced by the WSBA Coronavirus Response Task Force.
To access the Members-Only Area, login with user name SSP@wsba.org (not an active email address), type in the password you received with your section sign up/renewal, and then click continue.
If you encounter a screen with a message such as "Someone is already using the username and password...," just click on “Log the other user off and enter” and retry logging in. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if the problem persists.
Resources in the members-only area include:
- CLE Chapters and Articles
- Management Tools, Tips, and Forms
- Online Resources
- The Blogroll
Whom We Serve
Solo and small practice firms comprise more than 60% of practicing lawyers in Washington. Small firm practitioners must handle their finances, marketing, business decisions and growth without the help of law firm administrators, comptrollers, marketing personnel and executive directors.
The Solo and Small Practice Section of the Washington State Bar Association offers the resources to help manage these firms to maximum efficiency and profitability.
Who Serves You
The Section’s Executive Committee is made up of elected solo and small practice attorneys. They understand what you’re dealing with because they’re facing many of those same issues in their own practices. See the Section background page for member bios and photos.
The Executive Committee enjoys input from advisors, including consultants to the legal industry, providing added perspective on solutions to solo and small practice challenges.
Want to join us? Find out more about serving on the executive committee.
Did you know there are several important member benefits and tools that come with WSBA membership including Practice Management Assistance, professional liability insurance, Casemaker, and Fastcase? Membership in the Section can put you in touch with resources that you can't find anywhere else. It's the next best thing to having your own law practice management consultant!
When you join the Section, you will enjoy full access to:
- List serve discussions where you can post questions for Section members and receive help with your most challenging issues. This vibrant list serve is a great tool for communicating with other Section members to pose questions, seek recommendations, and share information.
(Please click on "List serve discussions" to reach the List Serve Guidelines.)
- Links on our Member-Only pages to numerous helpful resources, including podcasts, past webinars, articles, CLE Chapters, videos, law practice management tips, and forms. .
- Section-sponsored webinars with CLE credit throughout the year focused on solo and small practice issues and interests.
- Discounted tuition for the annual WSBA Solo and Small Firm Conference.
- Networking opportunities with other solo and small firm practitioners.
Starting in fall 2018, the bar began offering members a new resource when shopping for health insurance. Members can compare and purchase products from leading insurance providers through a private online exchange. For more information, please visit Health Insurance Exchange or contact HealthExchange@wsba.org.
Learn more about WSBA Member Benefits.
"You all have been a great resource for me, and I'd like to say THANK YOU. I am eternally grateful for any nuggets of direction and advice... You all take the time to write out beautiful explanations that I read word for word and cherish. Your time is valuable and I appreciate it."
Venu N. Sareen, Attorney at Law
From list serve post, May 7, 2015
Chair: Shashi Vijay
Chair-Elect: Jordan Couch
Treasurer: Bruce Gardiner
Secretary: Darcel Lobo
Immediate Past Chair: Kari Petrasek
Board of Governors Liaison*: Sunitha Anjilvel
Young Lawyer Liaison*: Joseph Riemer*Nonvoting member
Please contact subcommittee member for details on their upcoming meeting dates and locations.
For general questions, or to switch your list serve settings to a daily digest, please email inquiries to email@example.com. To get involved and learn more about the Solo and Small Practice Section, please contact the Section Chair Shashi Vijay. For more information about the Executive Committee members, check out their biographies.