Remote Exams (March 5, 2021): Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, on March 5 the Washington Supreme Court issued an order authorizing the Washington State Bar Association to administer the Summer 2021 LPO exam remotely. A remote exam means that you will be able to take the exam using your computer at any location with a reliable internet connection. There will not be an in-person exam in Yakima as previously scheduled. We will provide additional information here as it becomes available.
LPO Exam Dates
Summer Exam 2021
Date of Exam:
July 26, 2021
The exam will be administered remotely using testing software by ExamSoft
Applications Accepted Beginning:
Feb. 1, 2021
Application Filing Deadlines:
March 5, 2021 (timely filing)
May 5, 2021 (failed the previous Washington LPO winter exam only with no late fee)
Winter 2021 Exam Results Released:
April 9, 2021, 8 a.m. PT (exam results will be emailed to the last known email address on record)
Other LPO Exam Dates
Decision on the location and method of the February 2022 exam administration will be determined at a later date.
LPO Exam Requirements
To become a Limited Practice Officer (LPO), you must be at least 18 years old and pass the LPO examination. The LPO examination consists of three sections, a multiple choice test, an essay test and a performance test in which a sample closing transaction must be completed. The examination is scheduled to last four hours. The minimum passing standard for the examination is 75% for each section, and successful applicants are required to pass all three sections. In all cases, you must establish that you possess good moral character and the requisite fitness to practice law.
Preparing for the Exam
Applicants should have a thorough understanding and knowledge of:
- Real property and real estate law
- The LPO scope of practice and conditions to render LPO services as set forth in APR 12
- The LPO Rules of Professional Conduct (LPORPC)
- The suggested Study Topics
- Forms for a closing transaction.
You should be aware that only taking an LPO examination prep course is generally not sufficient to prepare you to pass the LPO examination. Please study multiple sources to prepare for the LPO examination.
Courses that you may find helpful include:
- A paralegal course in real property or real estate law at a local community college
- Rockwell Institute
- Other real estate education courses or seminars related to escrow and title
- The WSBA LPO Readmission Course (although not designed as an exam prep course, it does cover a lot of information included in the LPO exam)
Books that you may find helpful include:
- "The Complete Guide to Washington Real Estate Practices," Fourth Edition, by Alan Tonnon. Available from amazon.com or from the Law Offices of Alan Tonnon; 425-451-0130, ext. 3020
- "Washington Real Estate Law" by Alan Tonnon. Available from the Law Offices of Alan Tonnon; 425-451-0130, ext. 3020
- "Washington Real Estate Law," by Kathryn Haupt and David Rockwell. Available from Rockwell Institute; 800-221-9347
LPO exam refresher courses are offered by:
- The Escrow Association of Washington. They offer an LPO online study course. They also sell LPO Flash Cards.
- Washington Professional Seminars. Contact Fred Phillips at email@example.com or 509-946-7530
Please note that this information is provided as a courtesy only; books and courses are not endorsed by the Limited Practice Board or the WSBA.
Please Note : All applicants are subject to a character and fitness review prior to being admitted to practice law in Washington. Factors considered by Admissions staff and Bar Counsel when determining whether an applicant should be referred to the Character and Fitness Board are set forth in Washington Supreme Court Admission and Practice Rules (APR) 20-24.2(a).
Any discrepancy or conflict between the information provided here and the rules and regulations set by the Washington Supreme Court, or the Bylaws and policies of the Washington State Bar Association, is unintentional and will be resolved in favor of strict compliance with the rules, regulations, Bylaws and policies.