The Governor Manual is a collection of information curated for members of the WSBA Board of Governors. This web-format manual is particularly helpful for new governors but may be used as a valuable resource for all governors throughout your service. Thank you for your dedication and commitment to serve the Bar and its mission to serve the public and the members of the Bar, to ensure the integrity of the legal profession, and to champion justice.
Information has been curated for members of the WSBA Board of Governors. This web-format manual is particularly helpful for new governors but may be used as a valuable resource for all governors throughout their service.
Information below will be updated throughout the year. If you think something should be included, please contact Paris Eriksen, Volunteer Engagement Advisor. More Information can also be found by visiting the Volunteer Toolbox.
On this Page
Introduction to WSBA
As a regulatory agency, the WSBA administers the bar admission process, including the bar exam; provides record-keeping and licensing functions; and administers the professional discipline system. As a professional association, the WSBA also provides continuing legal education for attorneys, in addition to numerous other educational and member-services and opportunities to advance professionally.
- Volunteer's Introduction to the WSBA new animated video
- Quick Overview of WSBA: Working Together to Champion Justice
- History of the WSBA
- WSBA Values
- Strategic Goals
- WSBA Strategic Goals (2008-present)
Governors are asked to fulfill their fiduciary duty. As a guiding best practice, the ABA Division of Bar Services describes fiduciary duty as:
Duty of Care: act in the best interest of the organization.
Duty of Loyalty: speak with one voice.
Duty of Obedience: adhere to governing documents, rules, regulations and laws.
In furtherance of this best practice, Governors are asked to be aware of and routinely refer to the WSBA Policy Index; an online compilation of all current WSBA policies approved by the Board of Governors. Where a policy is listed below, please refer to the WSBA Policy Index.
Authority and Responsibility
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Roles and Responsibilities Policy
- Governor Responsibilities amended January 2022
- 2022-2023 Board of Governors Meeting Schedule
- 2022-2023 Board of Governors Roster
- 2022-2023 Board of Governors Committee and Liaison Appointments
- Board of Governors Past Meeting Minutes & Materials
- WSBA Fiscal Policies and Procedures Manual
- Expense Policies
- 2022 WSBA Expense Report
- Budget & Audit Committee
- Board of Governors Action Policy
- Board Elections
- 2022 New Governor Orientation Agenda and Presentation Slides
- WSBA Entity Chart
- WSBA Board and Committee Policy
- FY 2023 Overview of Committees, Boards and Panels
- WSBA Entity Chairs and Liaisons - Roles and Responsibilities
- WSBA Outside Appointments and Nominations
- FY 2021 Entity Annual Reports
- Volunteer Information & Opportunities
- Board of Governors Nominations Committee
Culture & Norms
- Conflict Resolution Practices & Policy
- WSBA's Guiding Communication Principles
- Harassment Prevention and No-Retaliation Memo
- WSBA No-Retaliation Policy
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- WSBA Culture of Inclusion Philosophy
- WSBA Diversity and Inclusion Plan
- Washington Race Equity & Justice Initiative (REJI) Commitments — WSBA is a Partner
- 2018-2020 State Plan for Coordinated Delivery of Civil Legal Aid to Low-Income People
- Alliance for Equal Justice — WSBA is a member of the Alliance
- MBA, Specialty & County Bars
- WSBA Legislation Request Process
- WSBA Legislative Road Map (2019)
- Legislation and Court Rule Comment Policy
- WSBA Sections Legislative Comment Policy
WSBA Organizational Structure, Departments & Staff
WSBA employees over 120 staff across 10 departments. WSBA offices are located in Seattle but many staff work remotely.
- WSBA Key Contacts
- WSBA Demographics (always updated on this page)
- WSBA Acronyms
- WSBA Functional Organization Chart
- Executive Director Contract
- Advancement Department Overview
- Section Profiles
- Communications & Outreach Department Overview
- Office of Disciplinary Counsel Department Overview
- Discipline System Overview
- The Discipline System - Selected Rules for Enforcement of Lawyer Conduct
- Discipline System Flow Chart
- Office of the Executive Director Department Overview - coming soon!
- Administration & Finance Department Department Overview
- Washington State Bar Foundation Department Overview
- Office of the General Counsel Department Overview
- Human Resources Department Overview
- Information Technology Department Overview
- Regulatory Services Department Overview
- WSBA Organizational Context Chart