Pro Bono and Public Service Committee
The Pro Bono and Public Service Committee works to enhance a culture of legal service by promoting opportunities and best practices that encourage WSBA members to engage in pro bono and public service with a particular focus on services to people with low or moderate income.
For general information about how to find legal help in Washington state, please refer to Find Legal Help. The Pro Bono and Public Service Committee does not accept or refer cases for pro bono legal assistance.
ABA Survey Results
2017–2018 Committee Projects
- Promote the Emeritus Pro Bono membership status, the Moderate Means Program, Call to Duty Initiative and the MCLE pro bono credit rule.
- Complete changes to probonowa.org
- Research barriers for attorneys who wish to provide pro bono services and encounter difficulties
- Compile and create sample pro bono guidelines for firms, corporations, and government.
- Researched and submitted a proposal to the Board of Bar Examiners, resulting in adding a question regarding RPC 6.1 to the Washington Law Component of the Bar Exam
- Increased Moderate Means attorneys via CLEs, NWSidebar blog posts and NWLawyer article.
- Promoted Call to Duty Initiative through NWSidebar blog posts and NWLawyer articles
Model Pro Bono Policies
The Pro Bono and Public Service Committee of the Washington State Bar Association has created three model pro bono policy templates that can be accessed, customized, and adopted by organizations in Washington State. Approved by the WSBA Board of Governors in July 2019, the three templates - one for law firms, a second for corporate and in-house legal departments, and a third for government entities – are intended to be a starting point for the creation and adoption of pro bono policies. Please find downloadable versions of the model pro bono policies here.
Washington has more than 70 organizations sharing opportunities for you to get involved and give back to your community. Pro Bono WA is a one-stop destination to find and connect with pro bono public service opportunities across the state. Visit probonowa.org for more information.
Next Committee Meeting
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Washington State Bar Association Pro Bono Public Service Committee, pursuant to RCW 42.30.080, that a Pro Bono Public Service Committee meeting will be held on:
Date: Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2019
Time: 1-2 p.m.
Location: Washington State Bar Association, Suite 600, 1325 Fourth Ave., Seattle WA 98101
Committee members may participate via conference call. A speaker phone will be available at the meeting location noted above for members of the public to attend and hear statements/discussion of those members participating by phone. In addition, call-in instructions are pasted below for members of the public who would like to attend telephonically.
The purpose of the meeting is for the Committee to discuss, deliberate, and take potential final action regarding the following agenda items:
- November Minutes, action item (approximately 1-1:05 p.m.)
- PBPSC Public Comment on RPC 6.5, action item (approximately 1:05-1:20 p.m.)
- Work Group Updates (approximately 1:20-1:40 p.m.)
- Liaison Updates (approximately 1:40-1:50 p.m.)
- New Business (approximately 1:50-2 p.m.)
No final disposition regarding any matter will occur at the meeting except as indicated on this notice.
Reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities will be provided upon request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-727-2109.
Instructions for public call in: 866-577-9294, access code 52111#
You are not required to state your name to join this meeting. If the conference call provider message asks that you state your name, you may press #, without stating your name, and you will be connected to the meeting. Committee members will be required to state their name in order to establish a quorum.
Meetings are held 1-2 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month at the WSBA offices, 1325 Fourth Ave., Suite 600, in Seattle and via conference call unless otherwise noted.
Dec. 3, 2019 │ Jan. 7, 2020 │ Feb. 4 │ March 3 │ April 7 │ May 5 │ June 2 │ July 7 │ Aug. 4 │ Sept. 1
FY 2020 Past Committee Meetings
Oct. 8, 2019 │ Nov. 5, 2019 |
FY 2019 Past Committee Meetings
Sept. 10 | Aug. 6 │ July 9 │ June 4 │ May 7 │ April 2 │ March 5 │ Feb. 5 (via conference call) │ Jan. 8 | Dec. 6 | Oct. 23
Past Meeting Minutes
Board of Governors Liaison
WSBA Staff Contact