Pro Bono and Public Service Committee
The Pro Bono and Public Service Committee works to enhance a culture of legal service by promoting opportunities and best practices that encourage WSBA members to engage in pro bono and public service with a particular focus on services to people with low or moderate income.
For general information about how to find legal help in Washington state, please refer to Find Legal Help. The Pro Bono and Public Service Committee does not accept or refer cases for pro bono legal assistance.
ABA Survey Results
2019–2020 Committee Projects
- Research and recommend changes to the Emeritus Pro Bono membership status to reduce barriers for legal professionals.
- Develop and make changes to probonowa.org, a clearinghouse for pro bono opportunities in Washington.
- Published Model Pro Bono Policies for organizations to use or adapt.
- Promoted pro bono and public service opportunities through the Bar News magazine.
- Facilitated Legal Lunchbox CLEs in October, in conjunction with Pro Bono Month.
Model Pro Bono Policies
The Pro Bono and Public Service Committee of the Washington State Bar Association has created three model pro bono policy templates that can be accessed, customized, and adopted by organizations in Washington State. Approved by the WSBA Board of Governors in July 2019, the three templates — one for law firms, a second for corporate and in-house legal departments, and a third for government entities — are intended to be a starting point for the creation and adoption of pro bono policies. Please find downloadable versions of the model pro bono policies here.
Washington has more than 70 organizations sharing opportunities for you to get involved and give back to your community. Pro Bono WA is a one-stop destination to find and connect with pro bono public service opportunities across the state. Visit probonowa.org for more information.
Next Committee Meeting
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Washington State Bar Association Pro Bono Public Service Committee, pursuant to RCW 42.30.080, that a Pro Bono Public Service Committee meeting will be held on:
Date: Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020
Time: 1–2 p.m. (or until all business is completed)
This meeting is by Zoom (video) only
Zoom Link: https://wsba.zoom.us/j/99704977981?pwd=aC9xUHhQdGNVV1ZLNktRaGNIRjdYUT09
Meeting ID: 997 0497 7981
Zoom Conference Call Lines:
LOCAL OPTION: (253) 215-8782 | TOLL-FREE OPTION: (888) 788-0099
- Welcome Remarks (5 min)
- Introductions (20 min)
- Context Setting (20 min)
- Overview of WSBA (10 min)
- Committee History and Background (5 min)
- Overview of Alliance for Equal Justice (5 min)
- Overview of Ongoing Projects and Workgroups and Workgroup Assignments (45 min)
- Rules & Policy Workgroup
- CLE Workgroup
- Publications Workgroup
- Technology Workgroup
- Strategic Planning Workgroup
- Additional Strategic Planning (15 min)
- Needs Assessment: Liaison Assignments
- Planning for Mid-Year Check-In
- Next Steps (15 min)
- SCHEDULING Monthly meetings
- Workgroup meetings
- WSBA Volunteer Orientation
Reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities will be provided upon request. Please email PaigeH@wsba.org or call 206-727-2109.
You are not required to state your name to join this meeting. If the conference call provider message asks that you state your name, you may press #, without stating your name, and you will still be connected to the meeting.
Meetings are held 1–2 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month at the WSBA offices, 1325 Fourth Ave., Suite 600, in Seattle and via conference call unless otherwise noted.
Oct. 13 │
FY 2020 Past Committee Meetings
FY 2019 Past Committee Meetings
Sept. 10 | Aug. 6 │ July 9 │ June 4 │ May 7 │ April 2 │ March 5 │ Feb. 5 (via conference call) │ Jan. 8 | Dec. 6 | Oct. 23
Past Meeting Minutes
Board of Governors Liaison
WSBA Staff Contact