Connect with Peers and Practitioners through WSBA's 29 Sections
Sections members become part of active professional communities and gain access to an array of exclusive section member benefits. Over 10,000 WSBA members currently belong to one or more of the WSBA’s 29 sections. The section membership year begins Jan. 1.
In the past year, WSBA Sections have sponsored approximately 70 CLE seminars and hosted multiple professional networking events around the state. Various sections offer a plethora of member benefits, including, but not limited to:
- List serve communities
- Newsletters, reports, deskbooks, and sourcebooks
- Free and discounted CLEs
- Opportunities to engage in the Washington state legislative process
...and more! Join a Section Today!
Interested in Section Leadership?
Each section is led by a group of volunteers who are elected to serve on the executive committee. Many find leading a section to be a rewarding experience because of the leadership growth, professional development, firsthand experience with the legislative process, and collegiality it offers. Executive committee discussions are productive and challenging, offering a unique opportunity to work with other legal professionals in a goal-oriented setting that benefits WSBA members and the greater legal community.
WSBA Sections are currently seeking section members to fill openings on their section executive committees for terms beginning Oct. 1, 2021. Consider applying to become a section leader!
For general sections questions, send an email with your Bar number to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-945-9722.
LGBT Law Section
The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Law Section strives to:
- Support understanding among WSBA members of the legal needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender residents of Washington
- Assist LGBT residents and those who represent them
- Better understand how their legal needs can be met
- Support research, education, and collaboration by section members on issues of sexual orientation and gender identification
- Promote the study of LGBT law and report on changing law and regulations as they affect LGBT people and communities
- Assist in legislative work undertaken within the scope of GR 12
- Act as a liaison between the WSBA, its Board of Governors, LGBT organizations, and the public
Chair: Peder Punsalan-Teigen (2021-2022)
Immediate Past Chair: Kelsey Kittleson (2021-2022)
Treasurer: Jonathan McCoy (2021-2022)
Secretary: Sam Gouveia (2021-2022)
Young Lawyer Liaison*: Jesse Taylor (2020-2022)
Board of Governors Liaison*: Brent Williams-Ruth (2021-2022)
Mike Ryan (2021-2023)
Sierra Ogasawara (2020-2022)
Megan Dawson (2020-2022)
The WSBA LGBT Law Section Executive Committee generally conducts meetings 4$ndash;5 p.m. on the third Tuesday of each month. You may attend by phone by calling 866-577-9294 and using the passcode 5016523#. Please contact committee member for specific details on their upcoming meeting dates and locations.
Join Our List Serve
To join the section list serve and for general questions, please send your email address and Bar number to email@example.com. For more information and to get involved with the section, please contact Section Chair Kelsey Kittleson.