Legal aid organizations are working to protect their staff, volunteers, and clients from the spread of COVID-19 while still providing the vital services communities need. Below is a developing summary of legal resources.
Free Civil Legal Help
Outside King County
- Call CLEAR toll-free at 888-201-1014 or apply online for certain types of cases. The line is open weekdays 9:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m.
- Visit Northwest Justice Project for any changes to the CLEAR hours of operations due to COVID-19.
Inside King County
- Call 2-1-1. The 211 Legal Referral and Information Hotline provides information for people facing civil (non-criminal) legal matters. The 211 line is open 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- King County Law Library: The Seattle location has closed its physical location. Library patrons can still access services remotely, Monday through Friday 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Contact them at email@example.com or 206-477-1305 or at www.kcll.org. The library hosts a legal clinic which you can access via telephone:
- Debt Collection Defense Clinic on Tuesday from 1–3 p.m. at 206-707-0934.
- The Downtown Neighborhood Legal Clinic will accept calls on Thursdays noon–2 p.m. Call 206-267-7070 to request an appointment.
- The New Lawyers Division Walk-In Clinic is cancelled until further notice.
- If you are seeking legal aid for the first time, please call CLEAR if you are outside King County or 2-1-1 if you are in King County.
- If you are already working with an organization and need to know whether their services are changed by the COVID-19 pandemic, you should look at the organization's website or contact them directly. For a directory of civil legal organizations, visit the Alliance for Equal Justice.
Reduced-Fee Civil Legal Help
The Moderate Means Program provides free referrals to attorneys and limited license technicians who charge reduced fees for family law, consumer law and housing law cases.
- Fill out an online application.
- The online application is the fastest way to qualify. If you cannot use the online application, please leave a message at 855-741-6930.
Criminal Defense Legal Help
- Washington Defenders Association's clearinghouse for public defenders and other advocates working on COVID-19 Related Advocacy
Legal Information and Resources
- Washington Law Help has information about employment, healthcare insurance, public health information, and court closures.
- Up-to-date information on COVID-19 related benefits and assistance available in Washington.
- LGBTQ+ Legal Clinic and COVID-19 resources for the LGBTQ+ Community.
- Debt-related resources and webinars on topics such as landlord/tenant law & COVID-19, student loans & COVID-19, and managing debt amid COVID-19.