Connect with Peers and Practitioners through WSBA's 29 Sections
Sections members become part of active professional communities and gain access to an array of exclusive section member benefits. Over 10,000 WSBA members currently belong to one or more of the WSBA’s 29 sections. The section membership year begins Jan. 1.
In the past year, WSBA Sections have sponsored approximately 70 CLE seminars and hosted multiple professional networking events around the state. Various sections offer a plethora of member benefits, including, but not limited to:
- List serve communities
- Newsletters, reports, deskbooks, and sourcebooks
- Free and discounted CLEs
- Opportunities to engage in the Washington state legislative process
...and more! Join a Section Today!
Interested in Section Leadership?
Each section is led by a group of volunteers who are elected to serve on the executive committee. Many find leading a section to be a rewarding experience because of the leadership growth, professional development, firsthand experience with the legislative
process, and collegiality it offers. Executive committee discussions are productive and challenging, offering a unique opportunity to work with other legal professionals in a goal-oriented setting that benefits WSBA members and the greater legal community.
Executive committee terms begin Oct. 1, 2023, and sections accept applications for the following year in early spring. Consider applying to become a section leader!
For general sections questions, send an email with your Bar number to email@example.com or call 800-945-9722.
Family Law Section
The Family Law Section is the principal statewide organization of family law attorneys, and is one of the most active sections in the WSBA. The Section is devoted to improving the profession and practice of family law, to the benefit of its members and other family law professionals, the judiciary, and the general public.
Annual Report | Budget | Bylaws | Year in Review | Elections
The Family Law Section offers many resources and benefits for members. On this page you will find information about the section, upcoming events and offerings, as well as information about the section's executive committee.
Launch of WSBA Family Law Section Website!
We are proud to announce the official launch of the new WSBA Family Law Section Website. It is designed to enhance communication and engagement within our family law community, and to serve as a valuable tool for staying informed.
We invite you to visit the website regularly at wafls.org and explore all that it has to offer.
- Events Calendar: Stay informed about upcoming Family Law Section seminars, workshops and networking events. Connect with fellow members and expand your professional network.
- Around Washington: Navigate the complexities of family law proceedings through our dedicated Washington State Court Information Center. Access up-to-date court rules, procedural guidelines, and essential resources to bolster your practice.
- Family Law Resources: Access legal resources and publications to stay informed and enhance your professional expertise.
- Legislative Activity: Stay at the forefront of legislative activity and legal developments with our comprehensive page dedicated to current legislative activity. Watch for updates and links to family law bills of interest throughout the legislative session.
- Family Law Section Committee: Stay informed about your Executive Committe's activities and advocacy efforts on key family law policies affecting our community.
- Podcasts: Insightful discussions with family law professionals, experts, and judicial officers on topics and issues relevant to your practice and your clients.
The new website is, and will be, a valuable resource for our section members.
Check out the Family Law Section Website now!
New! Save the Date: 2024 Family Law Midyear
Join us on the riverfront of Vancouver, Washington! Right off I-5 or an Amtrak ride away, we'll be on the banks of the Columbia River for those wishing to join us in person. We will also be live streaming online for those who prefer to join us remotely. Either way, this will be an informative and interesting midyear.
When: July 19–21, 2024
Where: Hilton Hotel, Vancouver, WA
If you are interested in participating in the Midyear, please contact Dawn Sydney, firstname.lastname@example.org.
And keep an eye on this space for updates!
Chair: Tamara Garrison (2023-2024)
Chair-Elect: Dawn Sydney (2023-2024)
Immediate Past Chair: Elizabeth Helm (2023-2024)
Secretary: Kimberly Loges (2023-2024)
Treasurer: Shelley Brandt (2023-2024)
Legislative Liaison*: Patrick Rawnsley (2023-2024)
Section Liaison to the BOG*: Nancy Hawkins (2023-2024)
Young Lawyer Liaison*: Kiona Gallup (2023-2025)
Boaz Weintraub (2021-2024)
Executive Committee Meetings
The WSBA Family Law Section Executive Committee generally conducts meetings via Zoom on the third Saturday of each month. Please contact committee members for specific details about their upcoming meeting dates. The following meetings have been scheduled:
- 12:30 p.m. PST Saturday, Nov. 18, 2023 — Zoom Link — Meeting ID: 824 2133 0752
- 8:45 a.m. PST Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024 — Zoom Link — Meeting ID: 823 5717 2537
Section members are welcome to attend. An opportunity for comments will be offered early in the meeting.
For more information, please see the section's Events Calendar.
Join Our List Serve
The section's list serve is administered by the Family Law Section. To join the list serve, please contact and forward proof of membership to the webmaster. For general section questions, please send your email address and bar number to email@example.com.