APR 6 Law Clerk Program

The Admission to Practice Rule (APR) 6 Law Clerk Program is an alternative to law school which can qualify you to take the Washington State Bar examination pursuant to the requirements of APR 3 (b) Qualifications for Bar Examination. It is a four-year program designed to supply a theoretical, scholastic, and clinical experience through the combination of work and study with an experienced lawyer or judge.


To qualify to apply for the program you must have good moral character; a bachelor's degree; and regular, paid employment in Washington state with a lawyer or a judge with at least 10 years of active experience who will be the primary tutor. You must find your own employment. Neither the WSBA nor the Law Clerk Board can assist you in finding an employer/tutor. Employment is a requirement to apply for the program and an important component of participation the program; you must hold qualifying employment with the tutor when you apply. Employment offered contingent upon enrollment in the program is not acceptable.

To Apply

Complete and submit the APR 6 Law Clerk Program Application materials with the $50 application fee no less than 60 days before a quarterly meeting of the Law Clerk Board. The Board makes decisions regarding enrollment at the meeting.

 Applications Due    Meeting Date
 December 15, 2014    February 13, 2015
 March 9, 2015    May 8, 2015
 June 8, 2015    August 7, 2015
 September 7, 2015    November 6, 2015

APR 6 Law Clerk Program Application materials
APR 6 and Program Regulations
Application Instructions
Law Clerk Application
Tutor Application

Advanced Standing, Foreign Credentials

When you apply, you may petition for Advanced Standing in the program based on law school courses completed. The courses may be from either an approved or unapproved law school, but only law school courses may be considered. Neither undergraduate or paralegal courses, nor employment experience may be considered. If you have completed undergraduate studies and/or law school in a foreign country, you should provide an education credential evaluation report. 


The Law Clerk Board makes determinations on enrollment and Advanced Standing in the program. If you are enrolled, you must pay a $1,500 fee each calendar year. The Law Clerk Board and WSBA staff monitor participation in the program but the law clerk and tutor study independently as they complete the course of study required by the regulations. The law clerk must spend a minimum of 32 hours each week performing the duties of a law clerk, which includes work and study. The tutor is required to give at least three hours each week of personal supervision to the law clerk, which includes exposition and discussion of the law, the recitation of cases, and the critical analysis of the law clerk's written assignments.


You do not earn a a J.D. degree by completing the Law Clerk Program and the program is not accredited by the American Bar Association. It meets the requirements for admission to the practice of law in Washington State only and may not satisfy requirements for admission in other states; admission requirements are established on a state by state basis. For more information about other state’s requirements, contact the National Conference of Bar Examiners.

Any discrepancy or conflict between the information provided here and the rules and regulations set by the Washington State Supreme Court, or the bylaws and policies of the Washington State Bar Association, is unintentional and will be resolved in favor of strict compliance with the rules, regulations, bylaws and policies.

Questions about the Law Clerk Program?

Contact Talia Clever at taliac@wsba.org
800-945-WSBA, ext. 2112

Law Clerk Program Rules and Regulations - Click here to view

Additional Resources

Assistant Tutor Application
See regulations for information about assistant tutors

Tutor's Monthly Certificate
To be completed by the tutor and submitted by the 10th business day after each month of study

Jurisprudence Reading List 
Three reports due for each year of study. To request additions to the list, submit a written request to the Law Clerk Board.